Tradition & History
Grand Hotel Kronenhof – a tradition for over 150 years
In 1848, Andreas Gredig from Prättigau, Grisons, bought the restaurant "zum Rössli" in Pontresina, which underwent several extensions over the next 50 years. In 1898, the luxurious premises, at that time known as the "Grand Hotel Kronenhof and Bellavista", welcomed their guests as the horseshoe-shaped three-winged structure with an honorary courtyard, the same way it is still presented today.
During the First and Second World War, it was the Veltliner wine shop in the cellar, which turned out to be a secure source of income during times of crisis. That helped the Grand Hotel Kronenhof to overcome those challenging years, while only few guests came to visit the Upper Engadine. The Olympic Winter Games in 1928 and 1948 were held in St. Moritz of which the Grand Hotel Kronenhof was able to profit.
After 140 years of family tradition, the Gredig family sold the Grand Hotel Kronenhof in 1989 to Swiss private investors. A few years later, Grand-Hotels Engadinerkulm AG, owners of the famous Kulm Hotel St. Moritz, bought the Grand Hotel Kronenhof and its entire property in spring 2004.
Several big investments were made in order to have the glamour and exclusiveness of passed times returned to the Grand Hotel Kronenhof.
Besides the renovations of several rooms and hallways, the Grand Hotel Kronenhof created 28 additional guest rooms, a new underground parking garage as well as a spacious wellness area of over 2,000 m2.
Download history of the Grand Hotel Kronenhof (PDF 372 KB)